Today I would like to tell you a little bit more about the process of choosing building materials & finishes for the ecokit home.
Our approach to building material selection has been to start from basics and not to trust anyone. By no means we say we are not guided by others’ knowledge and experience but in doing our research we have found that statements are often misleading and sometimes completely wrong.
There are many documents and approaches to sustainable material selection around but we have found that everything comes down to context. We feel our selection is correct for this building but it might not necessarily be appropriate everywhere. In those cases we will give you an alternative options to choose from.
Our criteria in making decision have been the following:
- Make sure materials are not toxic & are free of LBC Red List materials
- Prefer australian-made products over imports if available
- Locally source as many skills & materials as possible
- Track materials from source to manufacturer to site, and ensure the best possible outcome
- Use recycled materials wherever possible and applicable
- If new materials are to be used ensure they are sustainably and ethically produced
- Use materials that require minimal protection and maintenance
- Design to use as few materials as possible
- Order accurately and work with materials to minimize waste
- Select durable materials and incorporate them in a way that allows them to be recycled or reused later
This is an introduction to our series of updates where we will reveal our decisions and the journey we went through to make our selections. All materials, fixtures and fittings have been selected after extensive research into their components, embodied energy & best practice industry.